Carina is a fully implantable hearing system for the treatment of all three types of hearing loss: sensorineural, conductive and mixed. The Carina fully implantable hearing system includes a microphone, which is implanted completely under the skin. The system is coupled to the middle ear anatomy, so the ear canal remains open. The implant consists of a microphone, a sound processor and a transducer. The transducer stimulates the ossicular chain and other parts of the middle ear. This system mimics natural hearing, and Carina users report a more natural sound quality than with conventional hearing aids.
Advantages of Carina
- The Carina fully implantable hearing system adds quality to your daily life, giving you the freedom to participate actively in all areas of life – at work, with your family, or when playing sports. With Carina, you don’t have to worry about moisture, heat or dust. You can swim, shower, exercise, or work outside, all without limitations.
- Because the implant is not located in the ear canal, there is no risk of clogging or infections. Sound quality is optimized, even in difficult hearing conditions.
- Carina’s powerful digital signal processor is individually programmable according to your needs.
- The Carina fully implantable hearing system accessories include a charging system and a remote control. The charging system contains a base station, a charging coil, and a charger body. While recharging the implant, you can continue with your normal daily activities. The rechargeable battery has an approximate life of 15 years.
- The Carina fully implantable hearing system provides you with various options to increase your residual hearing, and its active stimulation of the middle ear results in a more natural sound experience.
How and Where Is Carina Implanted?
Once your doctor has determined that Carina is the right choice for you, the Carina fully implantable hearing system will be implanted through a standard operation with general anesthesia. The auditory ossicles remain completely intact during the operation. After approximately eight weeks, the implant will be activated by an audiologist or hearing aid acoustician. Carina is currently being implanted in numerous clinics across Europe, Latin America and Asia. Select your clinic.